Monday, November 26, 2012

Small Business Scores

Black Friday.  Small Business Saturday.  Still Shopping Sunday.  Cyber Monday.  Take It Back Tuesday. 

Have you guys started shopping yet?!  I don’t know what you’re shopping for but you should be shopping.  You will never get 60% off of that thing-a-ma-bob again!   You’re gonna miss out on this year’s greatest watchamacallit if you don’t get it now!  Do you want to revisit the Furby disaster of 1998?  I didn’t think so!
Despite the multitude of receipts in my purse, I’m actually not a huge fan of shopping so I don’t get too swept away in the shopping madness that descends upon this country right after Thanksgiving.  That’s not saying that I haven’t had some cool Black Friday adventures but these days I’m content to go to bed Thanksgiving night instead of going out to get a jump start on Black Friday shopping. 

But I have to say, I like this Small Business Saturday event.  And yes, I know that it was created by a big, gigantic, financial corporation.  But hey, everyone needs a reminder every once in a while.
I like small businesses and I give props to the people who take that risk to open up their own shops.  I’ve always wanted to open up my own little store – Knick-Knack Paddy Whack where I would sell knick-knacks.  Or Crafty Gals where I could sell the crafts that my friends and I make.  Maybe an independent book store called Book Mark It.  Or my personal favorite – an old-fashioned ice cream parlor called What’s the Scoop? – the waitresses and soda jerks would have to ask “What’s the scoop?” when they took orders!

Actually, maybe I only like coming up for names for small businesses. 
Whatever…I’m happy to support local small businesses and I’m excited about my purchases this weekend!  (And they were all for me...I haven't started Christmas shopping yet!) 

My purchases - a scarf/shrug/wrap; an
antique window; and pina colada rum jam

No comments:

Post a Comment