Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Gettin' My Vote On!

Well, it’s here – Election Day 2012.  I got up early today and reported to my precinct’s polling place to vote.  Since I didn’t report my address change when I moved, I had to fill out a provisional ballot but my vote still counts! 

I have two treasured possessions in my personal archives – my grandfather’s passport and my grandmother’s voter registration card.  When my grandmother was born, women in this country didn't have the right to vote.  She was 12 when the 19th Amendment was ratified.  
This is her (last) voter registration card:

Even though she's no longer with us, I "redacted"
her personal informaion and political affiliation!
Like all women, I owe a huge debt of gratitude to the brave suffragettes who fought to give us the right to vote.  

So, in honor the women who came before us, if you haven't voted yet today, go vote!  It's our civic duty! 

No comments:

Post a Comment