Thursday, November 24, 2011

For This I Give Thanks

Every year at Thanksgiving dinner, everyone at the table says what they’re thankful for.  Since we’re a bit of a sarcastic bunch, it’s usually not very heartfelt.  But I thought this year, I’d list some of the things for which I’m grateful on this Thanksgiving Day.  With not a bit of sarcasm. 
A clear blue sky after a night of hurricane force winds.
Driving through a forest in the Pacific Northwest and finding my inner Goonie. 
Chocolate milkshakes and sweet potato fries. 
Starting lines and finish lines and the friends who are there to cheer me on.  
SPF-50 sunscreen.
Barbecuing at the beach.
Second chances.
Being allowed to figure things out on my own.
Open door policies.  Even when the door’s closed.
A hundred different mentors who mentor me in a hundred different ways.
Always having someone to go to lunch with. 
Sleeping in late on the weekends.  Both days. 
Walks around the block.
Neighbors who have become friends. 
Cuddly kittens and a large, in charge cat.
Texting (but not when you’re driving!)
Naps.  Mid-morning, afternoon, and early evening.
Friends who I can get into trouble with.  And friends who I can call when I’m in trouble.
The people who believe in me even when I don’t believe in myself. 
A table set with my Nanny’s china and the three most important people in my life sharing this day of thanks with me.  (Oh…and the food isn’t too bad either!) 
Wishing you and yours a very happy Thanksgiving!   

1 comment: