Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Flower Power

For most of the spring and summer, my front stoop was adorned with potted impatiens and a geranium.  It was the closest that I came to planting a garden this year and I managed to keep them alive for most of the summer.  When fall arrived, it was time for mums, hay bales, and pumpkins.  Out with the old, in with the new.  I tossed the geranium - with its yellow leaves and dying flowers - in my backyard with the intention of throwing it away on the next trash day.  But I forgot about it and there it sat, forgotten and lonely.
Yesterday, I was in the yard and I was surprised to see that forgotten and lonely geranium coming back to life.  No one’s watering it, no one’s paying any attention to it, but there it is doing its own thing. 
Blooming away in spite of - because of? - its circumstances. 
Imagine that.
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”
Albert Camus


No comments:

Post a Comment