Sunday, January 2, 2011

365 Days. 7 Goals. 1 (or 2) Freak-Outs.

Over the past few years I’ve made up slogans for the New Year.  Doing Great in O-Eight.  Feeling Fine in O-Nine.  Men in Twenty-Ten.  That last one didn’t go very far.  But it made for a great rhyme! 
As 2011 was approaching, the best I could come up with was Heaven in Eleven, which could have a couple different connotations…neither of which I was ready for yet.  I’m not anticipating visiting the after-life anytime soon, and well, that whole Men in Twenty-Ten plan didn’t exactly pan out for me.  So, then I came up with 7 in ’11:  7 goals to accomplish in 2011. 
Because putting them on a dry erase board makes them more legit (and gives me an excuse to screw around with markers), here they are: 

1)  NASCAR Driving Experience – I love driving fast.  ‘Nuff said.
2)  Hot Air Balloon Ride – the tickets are already purchased and I’d appreciate it if nobody reminds me how tiny the basket is and how high up it goes.  I’ll be fine.  Right?? 
3)  Try one new food a week – I am a notoriously picky eater.  But worse than that, I don’t even give things a chance.  But now I will.  This is otherwise known as (courtesy of my coworkers who, I’m pretty sure, are going to have the most fun with this) “Operation Just Put it in Your Mouth and Chew.”  I’m open to suggestions…first thing is falafel.  As a warm-up, I’ve already tried sushi (liked), baklava (didn’t like), and snickerdoodles (liked).
4)  Regular doctor/dentist appointments and taking a vitamin once a day – the most responsible goal and just something I guess a lady in her thirties should be doing.
5)  Run a 5K – I’m giving myself the whole year for this.  It could happen.
6)  Slow dance to Eric Church’s “Love Your Love the Most” – this is a very specific goal to distinguish it from all the other slow dance opportunities that come my way.  It has been suggested that I combine Goal 6 with Goal 2 but I don’t want to encourage unnecessary swaying. 
7)  Go to a non-English speaking country – I conquered London in 2010, now it’s time to go further.  Note – France is not on the short-list. 
So there you have it.  365 days to accomplish seven goals.  But since I’m a whiner and tend to flip out about things, I’m going to allow myself a couple of freak-outs.  Starting with the falafel.    

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I love your 7 in '11 idea! Fantastic!

    I've always wanted to go on a hot air balloon ride, but for some reason it seems like an impossible goal for me. I can never find a hot air balloon (or if I do find one it's inevitably flying way up over my head; and, obviously, then it's much too late to hop in), so I can't believe you already have your tickets and I can't wait to hear about the ride!

    I hope you don't mind random comments from random strangers. I got your blog address from a friend and I'm so glad I did--you're great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I've heard all about "Emily in the computer" so you're not a stranger at all!

    ReplyDelete