Monday, February 28, 2011

Birthdays

I have to have a baby girl on March 5th.  Not this year’s March 5th…and probably not next year’s March 5th…but definitely a March 5th in the future.  (Considering how slowly I’m moving with the online dating thing, that future might be a long, long time away!)  I know what you’re thinking.  Huh?  Here’s the scoop – my mother’s mother was born February 24th, my mother was born on February 27th, and I was born on March 2nd.  If you’re good at math (and not counting February 29th because, really, whoever does?) you’ll notice the pattern – three days separates each birthday.  This, aside from our annual trek to the Poconos to chop down our Christmas tree, is about the only family tradition that we have so I’d really like to keep it going.  So, that’s why I have to give birth to a daughter on March 5th (preferably, it should be the youngest daughter but I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself.) 
I like having my birthday three days after my mom’s…I’m like the greatest birthday present that she ever got!  But, I’m not so sure she likes it.  Especially, when I have a tendency to leap out of bed on her birthday and shout - It’s your birthday, do you know what that means?  Three days until my birthday!  I can’t help it that her birthday happens to be the beginning of my birthday month, give or take a day!  My mom always lets me have those days though because that’s who she is, generous and kind-hearted.  But this year marked her 65th birthday so we made it extra special – there was a surprise party and a surprise gift and a surprise cake.  And it was all just for her.  Because she deserves her own birthday celebration every once in a while.
My mom is my best friend (or my bff as my brother likes to tease me.)  She’s probably the single-most influential person in my life, which isn’t to say that I always listen to her!  She tells me what she thinks (never what I want to hear), watches as I figure it out, and never rubs it in when I  tell her that she was right (well, except this past Thanksgiving when I swore there were no giblets in the turkey that I prepped…she found them after the turkey came out of the oven.)
If there was one word that I would use to describe her, it would be resilient.  She’s gone through a lot in her life and she always manages to get through it without feeling sorry for herself or asking why me?  I wish I could say that I followed the example that she set for me.  I didn’t.  But then, I’m not my mom and we all have to find our own way.  And yet, I know she’s there for me every step of the way…and that’s all I really need.
If I actually manage to carry on the tradition and I do give birth to a little girl on March 5th,  I know that  my mom will be there with me…and that’s the best birthday present that I could ever hope for.
Happy Birthday Mom! 
Technically, this is a day late…so, you know what that means?  My birthday’s two days away!!

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading all of your posts and am sitting here with a smile on my face. You sure have a way with words. Very entertaining! I think this is one of my favorite posts. I can't wait to see what this Food Friday brings and hope to get another update on the online dating.

    ReplyDelete