Monday, December 31, 2012

A Clean Break

Today marked the official retirement date of one of my colleagues.  He was is (good lord, he didn’t die, he just retired!)y low-key guy so he didn’t want any sort of retirement party, going-away soiree , or even a cake – which kinda sucked for the rest of us because we like parties, soirees, and cakes – but it wasn’t our retirement so we didn’t get a vote.  We did get to sign his card though.

Before everyone dispersed for the Christmas holiday the week before last, a few people stopped by his cubicle to say their good-byes privately.  Well, as privately as you can get in an office of cubicles – the sound barrier box wall nothwithstanding. 
I teared up the couple of times that I heard someone say good-bye to him. 

I’m such a sap. 
I said my so long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good-bye late in the afternoon.  I told him to make sure he comes back to visit.
His response took me by surprise.  He said that he probably wouldn’t – he likes clean breaks.

Clean breaks?  Huh?  I can’t even comprehend that.  I don’t break from anything.    
I hold onto the past until well after even the past moved on. 

As I moved into my “officially-as-of-December 31, 2012 former” colleague’s cubicle today, I thought to myself, you know, maybe he’s right.  Clean breaks are healthier.  And not so messy. 

So, I’m making a clean break from 2012.  There’s no looking back on this year unless I want to remember something really really spectacular.  (Okay, maybe I’ve gotta work at the clean break thing.)    

It’s full-steam ahead for 2013.
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment