Monday, June 13, 2011

Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.

Despite my coolness quotient (on a good day), there is one area in which I am perennially unhip. I have never been that into music (just for the record, you totally don’t need music to dance).  Anyway, while my peers were listening to Tiffany and New Kids on the Block, I was listening to the oldies station – the hits of the fifties and sixties, the music of my parents’ generation.  Sure, in the ‘90s, I wore my flannel shirts just like every other grunge rocker wannabe and I even had my own tape cassette of Nirvana’s Nevermind but honestly, my musical tastes were geared more towards doo wop and blue-eyed soul.  In my early 20s, I dragged my mom to a couple of Righteous Brothers concerts (you know…Unchained Melody and You’ve Lost that Lovin’ Feelin’).  I was the youngest fan there.  So, music’s never been a big deal to me.
Why am I telling you all of this?  Because I have to admit that I totally didn’t get why SuperJ kept on saying “Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.” whenever I mentioned that I was going to Asbury Park to see some of the Deadliest Catch Captains.  I thought he was trying to sound like an old time-y postcard.  So, um, yeah, this totally unhip, musical know-nothing finally gets it.  “Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.” – that was the title of Bruce Springsteen’s first studio album.  And Asbury Park is to Springsteen what Seattle is to Nirvana.   Got it.  And now I will prepare myself to be mocked.   
But I wasn’t in Asbury Park to celebrate its musical history.  Nope, my mom and I blew past The Stone Pony and headed for the Paramount Theater to spend an evening with three of our favorite captains from Deadliest Catch - Captain Sig and the Hillstrand Brothers.  Even more exciting, we caught up with one of our CatchCon partners in crime, Jersey.  We were on our very best behavior, of course.  We’re classy, respectable fans after all.   
O' Captains, My Captains!
After the show, there was a meet and greet for all of us who paid for the privilege of face-time with the captains.  It was a little rushed but I did get (another) picture with the captains, (another) autograph (this time for a friend at work), and (another) hug from Captain Jonathan.  All in all, it was a great night!   
By the way, I didn’t see the Boss anywhere in Asbury Park while I was there…but maybe he’s walking the Streets of Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment