Monday, May 2, 2011

When History Happens

When I was little I used to ask my mom when history would start happening.  She grew up during a time when lots of history was happening…the invention of television (or maybe that was just color television), Camelot, the race to space, assassinations, Woodstock, the Vietnam War, disco.    
I was born in 1979, the most boring year in history.  Oh, sure, there was the disaster at 3 Mile Island but other than that, nothing else exciting happened.  I was a baby when Ronald Reagan was shot; six when the Challenger exploded; in middle school when the first Gulf War began and ended; and in high school when the Branch Davidian compound in Waco was seized, OJ was acquitted, and the Alfred P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City was bombed.  I wasn’t paying much attention to all that.  I had other things on my mind, like Barbies and Trapper Keepers and Friday night football games and Homecomings.  History was happening...I just didn't realize it.   
The first time I really felt like history was happening was when Princess Diana died.  I remember my mom saying to me, you’ll always remember where you were when you heard that she died.  And I do.  It was the night before I left for my first year of college and I was visiting the Whites’ house for one last visit.  It astounds me that 14 years ago, I watched Princess Diana’s funeral and three days ago, I watched her son’s wedding.  So much history has happened since that last day of August in 1997.
September 11, 2001.  When history happened that day, we all knew it, felt it, witnessed it.  Ten years passed and more history happened. 
Last night, another event that will go down in history happened.  It was a long time coming.  
Bravo to the brave men and women in our military and intel communities who continue to protect our freedom, protect our country, and protect us.  Even when history's "not" happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment